HOW DO I SAY THIS?
Except to tell you, STOP. Don’t do that. It looks terrible. And yes I know you that you already have bought something, painted something or installed something.
BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT ONE LITTLE THING HAS THE POWER TO THROW THE WHOLE ROOM OFF?
WELL IT DOES.
And I know that you want your home to reflect how much clarity you have, how thoughtful you are, how much you care, how considerate you are and that you are living a great life.
I know that you want to reflect your style and grace.
IT’S TIME TO GET, SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN.
But first this comes with a loving smack down and my STOP DOING LIST. In order to practice good design remember to that what you stop doing is just as important and what you need to start doing.
BUT FIRST, THE STOP DOING LIST:
- Stop buying boring ugly, cheap (pardon my French) crap. Seriously. This has got to stop now. OK?
- Stop designing in reverse. This means going to the store and just deciding what to buy right there on the spot. With out any concern for how does this tie in with overall room? Does this fit in with the concept?
- Stop buying rugs that are way too small
- Stop placing rugs mostly under that large sofa or bed. A rug should balance out the amount of wood showing. Remember you want to be able to walk ON THE RUG. If the rug is mostly underneath the bed or the sofa, can you walk on it? NO. Ask yourself does the tiny amount of rug showing look good with the huge amount of wood floor showing? NO. It’s totally out of proportion.
- Stop buying things that are too small in general. Small lights, small sofas, small photo frames sprinkled everywhere. NO NO NO NO.
- Stop buying window shades that you can’t see through. I’m clostrophobic. Instead use woven grass or 2” wood blinds or shutters.
START DOING LIST:
- Being extremely dedicated to ensuring a satisfying outcome.
- Eliminate all of the unnecessary details. Take every thing out of the room, start totally from scratch. This is about creating focus, balance and clarity.
- Follow the concept, follow the plan every step of the way
- Measure TWICE and cut ONCE. I’ll say it again. Measure TWICE and cut ONCE. This means measure it out, and measure it out again. Think about it, examine if it feels right. Take your time. Do not rush when it comes to getting the LOCATION and the SIZE exactly right. This is extremely important and is what will either make or break the design.
THIS IS MY LOVING SMACKDOWN.
Design is an art form, when it’s right it’s so right. But when it’s wrong, it’s OH SO!
I am here to help you but only if you’ll listen
I’M HERE TO REVOLUTIONIZE THAT ROOM.
I’M HERE TO WAKE YOU UP.
MAKE A CHANGE.
YOUR LIFE CAN BE BETTER NOW.
So start liberating your home.
Take down the crap. Take it all off the walls. None of it is hanging in the right location at all. Get rid of the broken stuff, the stained stuff, the stuff you don’t use, the stuff you don’t love, the stuff that your kids have out grown. Get it all out of your house now.
IT’S TIME TO LIGHTEN THE LOAD.
Stop acquiring junk. It’s time to start living better, by making better choices.
Commit to your style. Remember it sends a message about who you are.
Want more? Follow me HERE ON INSTAGRAM for daily design tips and inspiration.